What are your favorite comfort foods? You know, the foods you want the most when you are ill. This week I had a chance to think a lot about my comfort foods because, unfortunately, I had a chance to use them.
- Ginger Ale – For some reason, when I do not feel well, I crave ginger ale. Usually, I am a soda drinker. But, ginger ale, when I’m sick – that is my go to drink! I think this preference goes back to my childhood.
- Chicken Noodle Soup – Ah, yes. The old Jewish remedy. Well, I’m not Jewish but I think they are on to something here. Is it the steam? The stock? The lovely yellow color? I don’t know. But, I do know that it is also one of my go to foods when ill.
- Tea & Honey – Since my husband and I shared this virus, I’m including this combination on the list because he used the warm, sweet drink to get him though work last weekend. Tea is my preferred drink any day of the year.
- Jolly Rancher Candies – Okay. I do not want to argue about a candy not being a “food” but when you have copious mucous or a throat so sore you can barely swallow, these little nuggets of flavor can be very soothing. Especially, the grape flavor!
- Applesauce – In my family, there is none better than the homemade applesauce we make from our own apples grown in our yard. But, any applesauce will do, especially if it is slightly warmed on the stove or in the microwave.
Comfort. We all want some when we are ill. Food can provide some of that craved comfort while we wait to get better. What are your favorite comfort foods?